23 February 2010

Birds Don't Smile #2


In my continued quest to avoid the downtown Olympic mob scene I once again found myself out at Reifel last weekend. Over all, I didn't get much in the way of interesting shots, but thought I'd post this one anyway as it is so similar to my last post.

This time around it's a Black Crowned Night Heron, as opposed to the Great Blue Heron in the last post. Locally there are also Green Herons, but I've only seen two since I started this photography shtick so it's probably safe to say that you won't see that one in the next post...

One thing that I did see/photograph out at Reifel was a little Saw-Whet owl. It was kind of nice since for some time now any kind of owl - in the wild as opposed to at the Vancouver Zoo - has been on my list but I've just had no luck until Saturday. The pictures actually are horrible, so don't expect to see any posted here, but I did see and photograph it. Then, on Sunday, I got a couple of opportunities with what I believe was a Short-Eared Owl flying around in the middle of the afternoon out at Iona. Those shots have more potential, I think, so it's possible one of them migtht appear at some point. Apparently there are at least three of these owls hanging around Iona at the moment and they make regular appearances. Now that I know that I'll probably stop by there again soon to see if I can get a little closer - though my stealth skills are a little rusty at the moment.

1 comments:

Alison Cole 02 March, 2010 02:00  

He _does_ look very serious, doesn't he? :)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP