03 February 2010

Flat-decked Tug


When I was out at Steveston almost two weeks ago I spent a bit of time watching the activity on the river - there was quite an elaborate bit of business going on with bouyed pipes zig-zagging along the breakwater, leading up to but not quite reaching a large vessel/barge. While I watched, the crew pictured here appeared to complete the connection, though the 'plan' behind the odd pipe arrangement was still hard to figure out.

The barge-thingy (well out of picture to the right) was probably the base for a dredging operation, but alas it must have been the end of their working day (it was about 4:00) as once they had connected the last pipe they returned back to the barge and things started to shut down and get quieter, rather than noisier as one would expect if they were going to commence dredging operations.

There are quite a few things about this picture that I don't like:
  • the composition is clumsy,
  • only one of the crew of 4 (I think) is actually visible, and you can't really see how the tug operator is maneuvering the pipes into position. I'd moved around several times to try to get a better vantage point, but each time I moved so did the tug, and due to the distance involved I had to move quite a ways each time to make a noticable difference.
  • It's also a little too tight, in hindsight I wish I had zoomed out a little to capture a bit more of the scene, although that would have meant loss of other detail in the tradeoff.

That said, here it is anyway

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP